I am an Associate Professor at Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, and a member of the LIP lab.
I am a member of the Dante team that is also an Inria project-team.
My research is in the area of performance evaluation, queueing theory, stochastic modeling as applied to networks and computer systems. I am particularly interested in applying stochastic modeling and queueing theory to practical problems in computer systems.
Together with Alexandre Brandwajn, we deployed a web application that produces the solution of certain queueing systems using our resaerch material (e.g., G/M/c-like, M/G/1-like, and M/G/c-like queues). Click here to access the tool.
During the 2015-2016 academic year, I was on research leave at DIVA lab - University of Ottawa (uOttawa) - Canada. This leave was funded through a CNRS grant.
Current and past collaborators with whom I was privileged to work with:
UFR d'Informatique, Bat. Nautibus
43 Bd du 11 novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne Cedex - France
Office UCBL (Bât. Nautibus): Room 226
Phone UCBL: +33(0)4 72 44 81 91E-Mail Address:
Laboratoire de l'informatique du parallélisme (LIP) UMR 5668
Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon (ENSL)
46 allée d'Italie
69364 Lyon Cedex 07 - France
Office ENS: Building M7, Floor 1H, Room 26
Phone ENS: +33 (0)4 26 23 38 03
Fax ENS: +33 (0)4 72 72 80 80
E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Télécharger mon CV en français
Download my Résumé in English
Publication list (HAL List)
- A Study of Systems with Multiple Operating Levels, Probabilistic Thresholds and Hysteresis. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin, H. Castel-Taleb, T.Atmaca - IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Volume 29, 2018.(new)
- Multi-server preemptive priority queue with general arrivals and service times. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - Performance Evaluation, Volume 115, 2017.(new)
- Safety Message Generation Rate Adaptation in LTE-based Vehicular Networks. H. Soleimani, T. Begin, A. Boukerche - Computer Networks, Volume 128, 2017.(new)
- Breaking the dimensionality curse in multi-server queues. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - Computers & Operations Research, Volume 73, 2016.
- Performance analysis of multi-hop flows in IEEE 802.11 networks: A flexible and accurate modeling framework. T. Begin, B. Baynat, I. Guérin-Lassous, T. Abreu - Performance Evaluation, Volume 96, 2016.
- Performance Evaluation of Cloud Computing Centers with General Arrivals and Service. T.Atmaca, T. Begin, A. Brandwajn, H. Castel-Taleb - IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Volume 27, 2016.
- Reduced complexity in M/Ph/c/N queues. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - Performance Evaluation, Volume 78, 2014.
- A recurrent solution of Ph/M/c/N-like and Ph/M/c-like queues. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - Journal of Applied Probability, Volume 49, Issue 1, 2012.
- Dynamic Resource Management in Clouds: A Probabilistic Approach. P. Gonçalves, S. Roy, T. Begin, P. Loiseau - IEICE Transactions on Communications, 2012 (Invited Paper).
- High-level Approach to Modeling of Observed System Behavior. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn, B. Baynat, B. Wolfinger, S. Fdida - Performance Evaluation, Volume 67, Issue 5, 2010
- A DFO technique to Calibrate Queueing Models. T. Begin, B. Baynat, A. Brandwajn, F. Sourd - Computers & Operations Research, Volume 37, Issue 2, 2010.
- Higher-order distributional properties in closed queueing networks. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - Performance Evaluation, Volume 66, Issue 11, 2009.
- Towards including batch services in models for DPDK-based virtual switches. S. Zidong, T. Begin, B. Baynat - IEEE GIIS 2017 - Saint Pierre (France). (new)
- A new model for DPDK-based virtual switches. S. Zidong, B. Baynat, T. Begin - IEEE NetSoft 2017 - Bologna (Italy). (new)
- Conflict graph-based Markovian model to estimate throughput in unsaturated IEEE 802.11 networks. M. Stojanova, T. Begin, A. Busson - IEEE/IFIP WiOpt 2017 - Paris (France). (new)
- A Note on the Causes Degrading Communication between RSUs and Vehicles in Overloaded Conditions. T. Begin, A. Boukerche - ACM PE-WASUN 2016 - Valetta (Malta) (Invited Paper).
- Performance modeling of virtual switching systems. G. Artero Gallardo, B. Baynat, T. Begin - IEEE MASCOTS 2016 - London (England).
- Evaluation of an End-to-End Delay Estimation in the Case of Multiple Flows in SDN Networks. N. Nguyen, T. Begin, A. Busson, I. Guérin-Lassous - ManSDN/NFV 2016 - Montréal (Canada).
- Approximating the end-to-end delay using local measurements: a preliminary study based on conditional expectation. N. Nguyen, T.Begin, A. Busson, I. Guérin-Lassous - IEEE ISNCC 2016 - Hammamet (Tunisia) (Invited Paper).
- Towards a Passive Measurement-based Estimator for the Standard Deviation of the End-to-End Delay. N. Nguyen, T.Begin, A. Busson, I. Guérin-Lassous - IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2016 - Istanbul (Turkey).
- Predicting the System Performance by Combining Calibrated Performance Models of its Components - A Preliminary Study. T.Begin, A. Brandwajn - ICPE 2016 - Delft (Netherlands).
- Modeling of IEEE 802.11 Multi-hop Wireless Chains with Hidden Nodes. T. Abreu, B. Baynat, T.Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous, N. Nguyen - ACM MSWIM 2014 - Montreal (Canada).
- Hierarchical Modeling of IEEE 802.11 Multi-hop Wireless Networks. T. Abreu, B. Baynat, T.Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous - ACM MSWIM 2013 - Barcelona (Spain).
- A note on the accuracy of several existing approximations for M/Ph/m queues. T.Begin, A. Brandwajn - HSNCE 2013 - Kyoto (Japan).
- Multi-constrained routing algorithm: a networking evaluation. V. Nguyen, T.Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous - HSNCE 2013 - Kyoto (Japan).
- An MCMC Procedure for calibrating a VoD Workload Model. S. Roy, T.Begin, P. Gonçalves - GRETSI 2013 - Brest (France).
- A Complete Framework for Modelling and Generating Workload Volatility of a VoD System. S. Roy, T.Begin, P. Gonçalves - IEEE TRAC 2013 - Cagliari (Italy).
- Demonstrating a Versatile Model for VoD Buzz Workload in a Large Scale Distributed Network. J.-B. Delavoix, S. Roy, T.Begin, P. Goncalves - IEEE CloudNet12 2012 - Paris (France).
- Substitution Networks: Performance Collapse due to Overhead in Communication Times. T. Abreu, N. Nguyen, T.Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous, B. Baynat - AdhocNets 2012 - Paris (France) (Invited Paper).
- Knowledge-Based Admission Control: A Real-Time Performance Analysis. D. Ammar, J. Brochet, T. Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous, L. Noirie - IEEE LCN 2012 - Miami (Florida).
- KBAC: Knowledge-Based Admission Control. D. Ammar, T. Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous, L. Noirie - IEEE LCN 2012 - Miami (Florida).
- A Tool for solving Ph/M/c and Ph/M/c/N queues. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn - ACM QEST12 - London (Great Britain).
- An approximate solution for Ph/Ph/1 and Ph/Ph/1/N queues.A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - ACM/SPEC ICPE 2012 - Boston (Massachusetts).
- Contrôle d'Admission Basé sur un Plan de Connaissance. D. Ammar, T. Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous, L. Noirie - Algotel 2012 - La Grande Motte (France).
- Promoting Quality of Service in Substitution Networks with Controlled Mobility. T. Razafindralambo, T. Begin, M. Dias De Amorim, I. Guérin-Lassous, N. Mitton, D. Simplot-Rym - AdHocNow 2011 - Paderborn (Germany).
- Evaluation and Comparison of MBAC Solutions. D. Ammar, T. Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous, L. Noirie - IEEE LCN 2011 - Bonn (Germany).
- Performance Evaluation of a Single Node with General Arrivals and Service. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - ASMTA 2011 - Venice (Italy).
- Une solution approchée pour les files Ph/Ph/1 et Ph/Ph/1/N. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn - Algotel 2011 - Cap Estérel (France).
- Contrôles d'admission basés sur des mesures : Evaluation et comparaison de solutions. D. Ammar, T. Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous, L. Noirie - CFIP 2011 - Sainte Maxime (France).
- A new tool for generating realistic Internet traffic in NS-3. D. Ammar, T. Begin, I. Guérin-Lassous - IEEE SIMUTools 2011 - Barcelona (Spain).
- Note sur la simulation d'une file M/G/1 selon la distribution du temps de service. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn - Algotel 2010 - Belle Dune (France).
- Considerations in Workload Characterization in Parallel Access Volumes. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn - CMG 2009 - Dallas (Texas, US).
- Note sur les performances de TCP dans un environnement sans-fil multisaut. M. Bezahaf, T. Begin, B. Baynat, S. Fdida - Poster CFIP 2009 - Strasbourg (France).
- On finding the right balance between fairness and efficiency in WiMAX scheduling through analytical modeling. S. Doirieux, B. Baynat, T. Begin - IEEE MASCOTS 2009 - London (England).
- Preliminary Results on a Simple Approach to G/G/c-like Queues. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - ASMTA 2009 - Madrid (Spain).
- A Note on the Effects of Service Time Distribution in the M/G/1 Queue. A. Brandwajn, T. Begin - SPEC 2009 - Austin (Texas, US).
- Modelisation et Calibrage Automatiques de Systemes. Thèse de Doctorat de l'Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Décembre 2008.
- Note sur les temps de service résiduels. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn - CFIP 2008 - Les Arcs (France).
- High-level Approach to Modeling Observed System Behavior. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn, B. Baynat, B. Wolfinger, S. Fdida - Poster at Performance 2007 - Cologne (Germany).
- Towards an Automatic Modeling Tool for Observed System Behavior. T. Begin, A. Brandwajn, B. Baynat, B. Wolfinger, S. Fdida - EPEW 2007 - Berlin (Germany).
- Génération Automatique de Modèles Calibrés. T. Begin, B. Baynat, A. Brandwajn, S. Fdida, S. Kedad, F. Sourd - CFIP 2006 - Tozeur (Tunisie).
- Generate calibrated models in an automatic way. - Master Thesis (2005 - 2006).
Member of Technical Program Committees
- IEEE LCN 2018 - 43rd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks
- IEEE LCN 2017 - 42nd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks
- IEEE LCN 2016 - 41st IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks
- IEEE LCN 2015 - 40th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks
- PE-WASUN 2015 - ACM Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor, and Ubiquitous Networks
- PE-WASUN 2014 - ACM Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor, and Ubiquitous Networks
- PE-WASUN 2013 - ACM Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor, and Ubiquitous Networks
- PE-WASUN 2012 - ACM Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor, and Ubiquitous Networks
- NOTERE / CFIP 2012 - Nouvelles Technologies de la Répartition - Colloque francophone sur l’ingénierie des protocoles
- IEEE CIF 2014 - IEEE International Workshop on Complex Information Flows
Recommanded links (mostly in french)
Citations I like about Research
- "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're different." - Albert Einstein
- "As gold which he cannot spend will make no man rich, so knowledge which he cannot apply will make no man wise". - Samuel Johnson
- "Remember that all models are wrong; the practical question is how wrong do they have to be to not be useful." - George Box
- "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes." - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
- "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
- "Faire simple nous a pris beaucoup de temps." - Voltaire
- "On passe la moitié de son temps à refaire ce que l'on n'a pas eu le temps de faire correctement". - Loi de Myers
Funny citations I like about Computer Science
- "Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday's code." - Christopher Thompson
- "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan
- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook
- "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone ." - Bjarne Stroustrup
- "I think Microsoft named .Net so it wouldn’t show up in a Unix directory listing." - Oktal
- "Fine, Java MIGHT be a good example of what a programming language should be like. But Java applications are good examples of what applications SHOULDN’T be like." - pixadel
- "Perl – The only language that looks the same before and after RSA encryption." - Keith Bostic
- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
- "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare
- "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one." - Bill Gates
- "If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure." - Bill Gates
- "Life is not fair; get used to it." - Bill Gates
- "Big data is like teenage sex: everyone talks about it, nobody really knows how to do it, everyone thinks everyone else is doing it, so everyone claims they are doing it." - Dan Ariely
# unique visitors :
Last update on Apr. 20, 2018.